Hu tieu or Saigonese soup, a culinary messenger of civilizations
- on Jan 31, 2021       By: BN
Hu tieu or Saigonese soup is a typical dish of the inhabitants of the Mekong delta in particular and of Vietnam in general. Although it is not a traditional dish of the country, hu tieu is still well received and is becoming a familiar dish among Vietnamese people.
The origin of Hu tieu in Saigon
Originally from Cambodia, Saigonese soup has been introduced to many parts of China, becoming a daily dish of this place. Years later, this noodle soup spread to other countries such as Thailand, Singapore, and Vietnam.
It is the most popular soup of the Saigonese breakfast, we start and end the day with a bowl of quick but delicious noodles.
The differences of hu tieu
The main ingredients in this dish are the rice noodles, simmered pork bone broth, pork meat and intestines cooked with a little onion, bean sprouts and chives. In addition, you can add chilli sauce or a little lemon.
Hu tieu is very diverse like Nam Vang, My Tho, or Sa Dec…
Since noodle soup is a dish that is popular in many countries, each country will have its own way of processing and adding different tastes and characteristics. Almost all types of noodles are found in Saigon, each with a different taste and way of eating.
Saigonese soup recipe
Ingredients: salted radish; dried squid; bones, liver and pork; shrimp; meatballs, fish balls (optional); rice noodles and vegetables; bean sprouts; shallots of your choice. Spices include sugar and salt.
- Boil water with the bones and salted radish. Remove the scum that floats on the surface of the pot. Lower the heat for 30 minutes, adding a little salt. So we have a good pot of broth.
- Meat, slices of boiled liver then put in cold water to make the meat crisp.
- The noodles are also quickly plunged into a pot of hot water.
- The last step is to put the noodles in a bowl, add meat, liver, fried fish balls, cilantro, and onion. Then pour in the delicious hot and fatty broth to have the most amazing and unique bowl of noodles.
In addition, one can eat with vegetables for a variety of flavours and with your health in mind.
on 28 Feb, 2021
on 28 Feb, 2021
on 27 Feb, 2021