Hu tieu or Saigonese soup, a culinary messenger of civilizations
- on Feb 1, 2021       By: BN
Hu tieu or Saigonese soup is a typical dish of the inhabitants of the Mekong delta in particular and of Vietnam in general. Although it is not a traditional dish of the country, hu tieu is still well received and is becoming a familiar dish among Vietnamese people.
The origin of Hu tieu in Saigon
Originally from Cambodia, Saigonese soup has been introduced to many parts of China, becoming a daily dish of this place. Years later, this noodle soup spread to other countries such as Thailand, Singapore, and Vietnam.
Hu tieu first developed in the Mekong Delta, particularly in Saigon from the 1950s. Over time, it has become a typical culinary specialty in Saigon like Pho in Hanoi.
It is the most popular soup of the Saigonese breakfast, we start and end the day with a bowl of quick but delicious noodles.
The differences of hu tieu
The main ingredients in this dish are the rice noodles, simmered pork bone broth, pork meat and intestines cooked with a little onion, bean sprouts and chives. In addition, you can add chilli sauce or a little lemon.
Hu tieu is very diverse like Nam Vang, My Tho, or Sa Dec…
Since noodle soup is a dish that is popular in many countries, each country will have its own way of processing and adding different tastes and characteristics. Almost all types of noodles are found in Saigon, each with a different taste and way of eating.
Saigonese soup recipe
Ingredients: salted radish; dried squid; bones, liver and pork; shrimp; meatballs, fish balls (optional); rice noodles and vegetables; bean sprouts; shallots of your choice. Spices include sugar and salt.
- Boil water with the bones and salted radish. Remove the scum that floats on the surface of the pot. Lower the heat for 30 minutes, adding a little salt. So we have a good pot of broth.
- Meat, slices of boiled liver then put in cold water to make the meat crisp.
- The noodles are also quickly plunged into a pot of hot water.
- The last step is to put the noodles in a bowl, add meat, liver, fried fish balls, cilantro, and onion. Then pour in the delicious hot and fatty broth to have the most amazing and unique bowl of noodles.
In addition, one can eat with vegetables for a variety of flavours and with your health in mind.The good addresses for hu tieu in Saigon:
1. Hu tieu Thanh Xuan - The oldest noodle restaurant in Saigon
• Address: Ton That Thiep Street, District 1.
• Opening hours: 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• Price from 30,000 to 55,000 VND/bowl (about $ 1.2-2.3)
2. Hu tieu Quang Ky
• Address: Trieu Quang Phuc Street, District 5
• Opening hours: 4 pm to 10 pm.
• Price from: 70,000 VND/bowl (around $ 2.9)
3. Hu tieu suon non
• Address: 147A Tran Hung Dao, Cau Ong Lanh neighbourhood, district 1, Ho Chi Minh City.
• Opening hours: all day
• Price from 55,000 VND / bowl (around $ 2.3)
4. Hu tieu Thieu Ky - A long-standing cheap eatery in Saigon
• Address: lane 66 Le Dai Hanh.
• Opening hours: 2 pm to 6 pm.
• Price from 28,000 VND/bowl depending on type, around $ 2.2.
5. Hu tieu sa te
• Quoc Ky: 52 Ngo Duc Ke, Ben Nghe neighbourhood, district 1
• Quang Ky: 117 Trieu Quang Phuc, District 5
• Phieu Ky: 21 Nguyen Court, District 5
• In Ky: 156 Gia Phu, district 6.
6. Hu tieu Nam Vang
In Saigon, there are many delicious and inexpensive Nam Vang noodle place for you to enjoy.
• Hong Phat: 389 - 391 Vo Van Tan, Ward 5, District 3, HCMC
• 93 Huynh Man Dat, district 5, HCMC
• 60 Thanh Thai, district 10, HCMC
• 315 Le Van Sy, Tan Binh district, HCMC
• 131 Bui Huu Nghia, district 5, HCMC
>> Com ga Hoi An, chicken rice: a new geotourism experience
>> Xoi or the 5 glutinous rice recipes to absolutely try in Vietnam
on 18 Mar, 2023
on 16 Mar, 2023
on 10 Mar, 2023
- Hello authentiktravel.com webmaster, Your posts are always well-formatted and easy to read.
Lula Putnamon Mar 10, 2023
Abby Peeleron Mar 9, 2023
Ira Bealeon Feb 9, 2023
Phạm Phú Toànon Jan 28, 2023